Sunday, July 28, 2013

Starcrossings

When hubby and I head out on a photo shoot, we expect the unexpected. Which is another way of saying we never really know where we're going to end up. Today it was an outdoor suburban mall, where we basically took a walk through 'town,' stopping to take pictures whenever it struck our fancy.
"Starcrossings" is the June project of the FAITH Circle of do.Good Stitches, and my second finish serving as a quilter for the group {see #1 here}.
It's no secret I took direct inspiration from the quilt by sewing over pins and the Cheer Circle. That quilt just seemed perfect for our recipient.  Each member of our circle made 2 starburst cross blocks using the tutorial by SewCraftyJess. I think they are really striking blocks, and I love the mix of fabrics my bee-mates used.


For backing and binding both, I used Lucie Summers' Summersville Spring in hot pink.
As I was mulling over how to quilt this one, I just kept coming back to the wavy stitch built into my machine. Either that or a straight-line grid. In the end, I did a combo, stitching two parallel lines at the intersections of each block, both vertically and horizontally, and then two wider spaced lines going through the center of each block, again in both directions. For piecing and quilting throughout, Aurifil white 50wt just seemed the way to go.
All in all, I'm super pleased with this finish, which just happens to be on my 3rd quarter Finish-A-Long list. These happy blocks were a pleasure to work with, and my hope as this quilt heads off to Restore Innocence this week, is that it will find its way to a young woman that finds joy in it just like I did.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

33 comments:

  1. I think the quilting is perfect! And the colors are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty quilt. I think the quilting was a lovely choice. And your photos are great, I love these photo shoots you go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely, Debbie! The woman who gets this quilt will be so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely! It's such a bright and cheerful quilt. I'm sure the recepient will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt is beautiful and I really enjoyed seeing it displayed in such creative places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quilt....all bright and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Debbie, and is sure to cheer someone. Reminds me a bit of my Supernova. I'm wishing I had that wavy stitch.....
    So what is the Restore Innocense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. To answer Carla's question, Restore Innocence works to restore health and provide safety for victims of child trafficking. They specifically serve young women, and this charity is where FAITH Circle sends their quilts each month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly a beautiful quilt you made. And I know the girl who receives this will surely be blessed and brightened. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Debbie! This is fantastic quilt - like sun explosion! Your photos are beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt! I'm sure the recipient will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your photos show this beautiful quilt in all its glowing glory! I am certain it will bring much comfort and joy to the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful!! Every little detail so perfect for this quilt :o) I really enjoyed looking at all of the photographs you took of it, too! Such a fun location!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's gorgeous, Debbie. So bright and fun! Great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a beautiful, happy quilt! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I could belong to bees. How do people fit them into bus lives? The quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful quilt and perfect colors! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cheerful quilt! Someone is very talented at hiding any evidence of hands holding the corners in photo shoots, this is equally impressive to me...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful quilt! I love the locations you took pictures in, too -- especially that pillar with the blue tile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so love this! The colors are just perfect, thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks fabulous, love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  22. These colors are so happy and stars are always perfect! Great job to you and your circle!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning! I love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a happy quilt and such a fun photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks so great Debbie. What a nice finish for the bee. We're finally back in town after 2+ weeks away and I think it calls for a "mark all read" as far as the blog goes! Had to come check in with you though. We were just in your neck of the woods yesterday, zipping our way back to Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun quilt! I love the colors and the design. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a gorgeous quilt! I'm sure the recipient will love it. And how lovely that your husband is such a willing quilt photography assistant!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this quilt design! It looks great in these colours. Bookmarking this post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful quilt Debbie! I love your quilt photoshoots too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simply gorgeous! Love those bright, eye-popping colors that make me think of citrus and strawberries. Yummy. I particularly have an appreciation for all the work that goes into each block, now having made two MCMB blocks for Mary. This is a great block, no matter how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love this bright and cheerful quilt, Debbie! I enjoy finding just the right spot for those "beauty shots" too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful quilt - it will make someone very happy

    ReplyDelete