Thursday, August 7, 2014

This and That

With all sorts of sewing retreat opportunities popping up around the country, I was intrigued to hear about one held totally online! Apparently, “The Sewing Party” is the first ever online-all-day DIY event in history!
The Sewing Party
"On November 8, 2014, thousands of DIY-ers will gather for a fun-filled day of sewing and crafting classes taught online by leading bloggers and educational experts. It’s all about Connecting. Crafting. And Creating." And isn't that what it's all about for DIY-ers like you and me?!

I've already got a guild retreat planned for that weekend (kind of ironic, no?) but are any of you considering attending The Sewing Party? Attendees will have access to more than 30 online classes available on the day of the event and for an additional 90 days, which is a nice feature. Classes include home décor, fashion sewing, quilting, upcycling, crafting, costume design, techniques for turning your craft into an business and more. I kinda love that it's for all sorts of creative types, and since most of us do more than one type of crafting, even better. Here's a link to the classes and the educators if you want to know more.

If you're on Instagram, no doubt you've seen all the posts touting the new KONA cotton solids. How big is the color card going to be now?? Do you have a favorite? Here's a few that have caught my eye so far.
I happened across Robert Kaufman's Kona Cotton Solids board on Pinterest - definitely worth a glance!

So how are you with circles? Aren't they just more popular than ever? I've done my share, but still am not 100% comfortable with them, so I read the latest installment of Decipher Your Quilt with great interest. Do you follow the series by she can quilt and Elven Garden Quilts? Check it out, as it's full of helpful and useful quilty math info.

And lastly for today, I just have to share a lovely project I came across yesterday. It's by Carly of Citric Sugar, and I must say, I'm just smitten with these placemats! The shot cottons and chambray, the method, the palette with that pop of orange, the quilting, the MATCHED BINDING! Yeah, I pretty much love it all.
photo by Citric Sugar, used by permission
Do go read Carly's blog post about them and see more of what I'm talking about. Seriously, I'm not sure I could push away from the table if I had placemats like these, ha.

That's it! Hope you have a terrific day . . .

8 comments:

  1. "Gumdrop" is such a great name, isn't it? I don't think I could bear to use those placemats. Besides my husband is a very messy eater! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sewing Party sounds like a lot of fun! Love Carly's placemats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of information here today! Thanks for the links...and those placemats are totally amazing! And look at that quilting....oh my...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, I've got a retreat that weekend too! I actually got a spammy sounding email from them in the guild email today, good to know it's a legitimate thing (but they could work on their communication skills if they want participants!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice selection of randoms! I won't be at the online retreat as non-Americans aren't allowed to play, but I'm hoping to be elsewhere that weekend anyway :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the shout out. I sure love those place mats!

    ReplyDelete