Sunday, November 30, 2014

Handmade Holidays

All month long, it's been Handmade Holidays at Sew, Mama, Sew. Hopefully you've gotten some ideas for gift sewing, and maybe even a recipe to try or a printable to have fun with. Today the month-long holiday extravaganza wraps up with my round-up of Last-Minute Gift Wrap + Tags. I hope you'll check it out!

You hopefully saw my tutorial the other day for Trim-Tied Gift Bags. I couldn't resist making one more for you, with a couple of tweaks.  
First off, if you've seen this delightful fabric, a canvas called Light a Candle from the Moonlit Collection by Rashida Coleman Hale for Cotton+Steel, you may notice right off that it's directional. And that may cause just a little issue for you when using the original bag tutorial. All you need to do is cut your fabric in 2 pieces, rather than on a fold, adding 1/4" to the length of each piece. Then seam the bottom, making sure the 'top' of your design is facing away from the seam on both pieces of fabric. {Actually this comes in handy even if your fabric isn't directional, but when you don't have enough fabric to accommodate a fold.}
Another tweak I made was to make this bag larger. Though the photo up top looks like it's lunch-bag size, it's actually smaller. Rather than the 8"x21" I cut in my original tutorial, for this version I cut 2 pieces of fabric, each 10" wide x 12 1/4" tall, and seamed the bottom. I cut the trim (the 5/8" Striped Edge Woven Cotton Trim I told you I was going to try out) 40" long, and I kept the depth of the bag the same, cutting out 1 3/4" corners for the gussets, per the tutorial.

So have fun with the gift-wrap and tag tutorials in the round-up! I know I'll be using most of them for my own gift-wrapping this year!



Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie! Good Month! Your gift bag is Super and you really picked the best fabric! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure enjoyed your post at Sew Mama Sew! It will be a great reference and I plan to make a lot of gift bags this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great round up, and this print is perfect for advent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea and finished project. Blessings Always, Mtetar

    ReplyDelete